[pp.int.general] Democracy in PPI

Andrew Robinson a.robinson at pirateparty.org.uk
Sun Jan 17 20:42:42 CET 2010

2010/1/17 W Tovey <will.tovey at pp-international.net>:

On the particular points addressed at me...

> One particular worry is that our messages are being marked as spam. After
> being surprised not to here from Andy (PPUK leader) I contacted him through
> the PPUK forum to check if he was getting our emails and it turned out they
> were being spam-filtered and/or automatically deleted.

This has now been fixed.

> I recently talked to one member of the committee about this
> and hopefully it will be looked into at the next meeting.

Yes, I've just finished charing that meeting a few moments ago, and we
gave a lot of time to discussing the PPI.

> The mailing list above was used to discuss the date for the conference. We
> received feedback from about a dozen pirate parties (PPUK was not one of
> them) and decided on the date in April based on those responses. Obviously
> this date may be problematic for some individual pirates or parties, but I
> am sure you are aware of the problems with finding any one date that
> everyone can make. With the UK, this is likely my fault; I had assumed that
> our general election would be in May or June (with the government trying to
> hold on for as long as possible and hope the opposition screw something up)

This is precisely the reason we were unable to respond in a useful way
to the proposed dates, the UK General Election date is currently
unknown, and all our short to medium term efforts need to be carefully
orchestrated around that date, when it does become known.

> > As with all PPI involvement, I suppose it is down to the individual
> party to decide whether sending delegates to a PPI event is a suitable use
> of their time and resources.

This is true. Since we don't yet know the character, and cost of the
event, or how much press coverage we can expect, we are in no position
to make a decision on attendance. It would have been entirely wrong of
PPUK to demand a particular date that suited our election schedule,
and then have to pull out on grounds of cost.

- Andrew (@AndyPPUK)