[pp.int.general] Democracy in PPI

W Tovey will.tovey at pp-international.net
Sun Jan 17 18:52:23 CET 2010

Thank you for your comments here; PPI certainly welcomes any feedback
and (constructive) criticism and I will attempt to answer as many of
your points as I can. As you are aware (but for anyone else reading this
thread) I was also actively involved in founding PPUK but have since
focussed more on PPI.

Communication:
PPI is doing everything it reasonably can to communicate with PP
leaders. Looking back through my email history I see direct discussions
with the leadership of at least 9 parties within the last week alone. As
I hope this reply demonstrates, we do read the list, do respond to email
and (dare I say it, unlike the majority of the PPUK board) are
frequently found on IRC. I understand your concern over actively talking
to party leaders ourselves and to that end we have established a mailing
list of Pirate Party leaders and international coordinators that has
been fairly successful. We have contact details for about thirty parties
on it, although only two-thirds have been confirmed so far. We have been
using this list to send information to and seek input from party
leaders. Unfortunately, this list is only as good as the addresses on
it. Certainly the initial list had several inaccuracies (it was compiled
by me spending a weekend hunting through all the pirate party websites I
could find - and in some cases, IRC channels - to get contact details)
but we are gradually improving it. Hopefully once we have statutes and
are in a position to set up an official member list we should be able to
establish more concrete contact details. For now though, I think the
most important point on this is as follows:

**If you are a party leader and have not been hearing from PPI over the
last few weeks, please contact me directly as soon as possible.**
**If you are a party member and do not think your party leaders have
been hearing form PPI, please talk to them and point them towards us.**

One particular worry is that our messages are being marked as spam.
After being surprised not to here from Andy (PPUK leader) I contacted
him through the PPUK forum to check if he was getting our emails and it
turned out they were being spam-filtered and/or automatically deleted. I
hope that has now been fixed; in particular, he should have been getting
all the emails since then. If he has not been passing that information
on to the other PPUK exec committee (which may be the case) that would
seem to be an issue beyond PPI's control. I recently talked to one
member of the committee about this and hopefully it will be looked into
at the next meeting. Unfortunately I can't go through every pirate party
in this way, so I would like to re-emphasis what I said above. In some
cases, pirate leaders have been too busy to respond to PPI emails, in
which case, we strongly recommend establishing some form of
international coordinator but if that is done, it is important that you
try to let us know (and I am grateful to those parties who have done so).

**I would advise all pirates, especially pirate leaders to consider
adding @pp-international.net to their spam-filter white-lists.**

Currently only the five Coreteam members and a couple of supporting
pirates have accounts on this domain and if people are receiving spam
from it, let us know and we will do what we can to fix the situation. I
am aware that the current methods of communication between PPI and
pirate leaders is not perfect, but we are improving the system all the
time. In order to improve this, we do need active help from within the
individual pirate parties.

Conference scheduling:
The mailing list above was used to discuss the date for the conference.
We received feedback from about a dozen pirate parties (PPUK was not one
of them) and decided on the date in April based on those responses.
Obviously this date may be problematic for some individual pirates or
parties, but I am sure you are aware of the problems with finding any
one date that everyone can make. With the UK, this is likely my fault; I
had assumed that our general election would be in May or June (with the
government trying to hold on for as long as possible and hope the
opposition screw something up) in which case, a large, press-friendly
event a few weeks before may help the campaign. As was mentioned in the
original announcement, PPI hopes to offer significant funding for the
delegates, although we have yet to get all the details. As with all PPI
involvement, I suppose it is down to the individual party to decide
whether sending delegates to a PPI event is a suitable use of their time
and resources. PPI cannot, does not and will not force involvement
either with the conference or PPI.

Point of the conference itself:
There are many reasons for (and against) holding a "real life"
conference, many of which you are likely aware of from the similar
debate within PPUK recently. Several PPI conferences have already taken
place over the last 3 years and were found to be useful - although none
was on the scale we are hoping for. Being old is not automatic grounds
for dismissal. I am aware that Europe is not the centre of the world but
(as much as I'd like to from a scientific point of view) we cannot hold
the meeting at the centre. Brussels contains the headquarters of several
international organisations and is easily accessible from a large number
of countries (including the UK; it takes less than two hours to get
there from London on the train). PPI is aware that travel costs may
discourage pirates from more distant countries from attending and are
actively looking into obtaining funding for them. Having said that, we
have received interest from pirates in Canada, Mexico and Australia. It
is also worth considering that Europe likely holds the most dense
concentration of pirate parties. Obviously, we will do whatever we can
to ensure that any member party not represented in person at the
conference is able to participate as much as possible (including being
able to vote) but I hope you are able to see that there are more reasons
to attend in person that just to vote. It is likely that the majority of
votes on PPI issues will be carried out online. [On a more general note,
there is already a "Pirate Party of Europe" and "IberoPanamerican Forum"
within the pirate movement.]

Delegate allocation:
I think that do some extent you answered your own question here; there
is no easy way to fairly assign 'value' to member parties. By giving
equal power to all member parties, we avoid the issue. If we went on
population size, then we would have a PPI controlled mainly by the US
and Russia (neither of whom seem to be particularly active on the
international level at the moment). If we go by member size we have bias
creeping in based on membership requirements, local laws or even
foundation date. The current Coreteam feels that the equal-votes system
is sensible - if individual parties feel that this is not the case and
can offer a better method, we (and our successors) will certainly be
willing to listen. Personally, I feel that this system is sensible as,
in its current form (or planned form), PPI will be of most help to the
smaller parties; the larger ones will have greater resources to solve
problems on their own without help from PPI. The more powerful parties
may also have greater indirect influence over decisions so I think this
system is suitably balanced but I will welcome any suggestions. It is
also worth remembering that PPI (in its current form) is not a political
or authoritative organisation; to use a rather UK-centric analogy, I see
PPI as working more along the lines of the Commonwealth of Nations than
the UN.

is important to realise that PPI can't benefit national parties unless
some effort is put into it. At the moment PPI is in a very early stage
(it currently consists of five people and a website) but I hope your
experience with PPUK and with the pirate movement in general has shown
that even from small beginnings, a large difference can be made.
Ignoring affairs on the international level could be seen as a
particularly UKIPian approach and I hope that was not what you wished to
imply. PPI has already got at least one extra vote for PPUK - I only
discovered the UK party through PPI - but I think that we must remember
that no one country can achieve many of the goals of the pirate
movement. International co-operation between parties will be crucial to
combating the various treaties and organisations (such as ACTA and the
WIPO) that are behind current laws. Even if PPUK were to somehow win the
upcoming general election, I think it would find it very hard to achieve
its goals of drastically reducing copyright without serious consequences
(fines etc.) from WIPO and the EU. While each individual country has its
own laws and issues to deal with, I think it would be naive to ignore
the global issues. As another (UK-centric) example, it is entirely
possible that the pirate movement as a whole may find itself with more
MEPs than any one UK party at the next European election and so would
arguably have more power over the country. For these reasons I have
decided to focus my personal efforts on establishing a strong,
functional and effective PPI, rather than focussing entirely on PPUK
(although I do wish I could do both and regret not being able to put as
much into PPUK as I would like).

I hope that I have answered or cleared up most of the issues you have;
if you feel otherwise or have any further points, I will gladly continue
this discussion. PPI is actively seeking input on a number of issues
from all pirates (and others) and we are always happy to hear from and
respond to queries and suggestions.

Will Tovey
Chief Administrative Officer, PPI
http://www.pp-international.net