[pp.int.general] LOPPSI to be discussed in february

Scott Elcomb psema4 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 18:38:06 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:
>    "Loppsi 2 allows the state to install software that can "observe,
>    collect, record, save, and transmit" keystrokes from computers on
>    which it is installed. In essence, it allows for government-installed
>    Trojans for a period of four months; a judge can extend this period
>    for four months more."
>
> I don't think it is wrong for police to be able to investigate
> what people are doing, when they show a valid reason.  So this
> raises two questions, for me:

To an extent, I agree.  I can see military intelligence agencies using
keyloggers (with valid reasons), but not police forces unless they had
really, really good reasons and warrants.

> 1. Do the police have to get permission from a judge
> before they can initially install the trojan?
> Or is it only when they want to extend after the first 4 months?
>
> 2. Is it illegal to run a system with good security, such as GNU/Linux
> (at least sometimes), so that the police are unable to install the
> trojan?

I'd also ask:

3. What would the delivery mechanism look like?
3a. Would ISP's be forced to validate the existence of (or quietly
install) a government sanctioned trojan before allowing citizens and
organizations access the internet?

4. How would this affect tourists and others who may only be passing
through the country?
4a. Would they be forced to install the trojan before gaining internet access?
4b. Could tourists' mobile devices be confiscated if FOSS OS's such as
GNU/Linux were considered illegal?

--
  Scott Elcomb
  http://www.psema4.com/   @psema4