[pp.int.general] Obama's support for his election campaign

Ray Jenson ray.jenson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 04:50:40 CET 2010

Apologies to the international parties, but this is a moment of shame
for the party that I've helped in the past. This is a moment of shame,
because for 2 years I worked on a project to the detriment of my health.
I sacrificed family time, personal liberties, and even religious
advancement because of the PPUS. Anyone who says I don't believe in the
aims of that party should know just how much I've given up in support of
those aims. So what is this lengthy diatribe about?

I received some disturbing news today. This regards the US Pirate Party,
and shows the result of ineffective direction. And here we are, five
days later, and nothing has been done. NOTHING!

I spoke to President Obama's campaign people in 2007 when he was running
for President. I was assured that Obama's group was on the side of the
people, and that reduction in "intellectual property laws" was a
necessary thing.

I spoke to him again four months later, when he agreed that there needed
to be a reduction in copyright and more consumer protection.

This is the result:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/01/obama-supports-filesharing-verdict/

This is you, Pirate Party in the United States. This is an opportunity
to act. Action is required. There is no room for debate on that fact.
There is room for debate on how it should be handled.

This is an escalation to civil war on the part of the Obama
administration. History shows that this is exactly the kind of move that
occurs right before people decide to commit to a violent resolution. My
hope is that it never comes to that... but this is history in the
making, right down the line. We are at a point where remaining
ineffective is not only leading us down a path which has historically
led to war, but also that the one person we were holding out hope for
someone whose strongest statement is that copyright infringement
"creates a public harm that Congress determined must be deterred."

This is the same Congress that Obama campaigned against, the same one
that Lawrence Lessig wants to help change, and with the US Supreme Court
decision that corporations are now allowed to determine who is elected
more than people are, we are collectively in hot water up to our necks
because this is what happens when people expect others to do something
for us--something we aren't willing to do for ourselves.

To those in the Pirate Party organizations in the US right now:

Shame on you for fighting over internal power when we have these kinds
of things happening.

Shame on you for splitting into multiple groups because you want to
whine about who should be in charge.

Shame on you for throwing accusations against the very people who
believe in the processes of freedom and democracy that you whine about.

I worked with Andrew for 2 years. I worked with Glen for a year. I know
Andrew's position quite well... he wouldn't cheat. But I still say that
the election wasn't as fair as it could have been, given that the
decision within the party resulted in inaction and splintering.

It doesn't matter who's in charge. What matters is what people are
individually going to do about it.

Think about this. And then act.

I put my lot in with Obama. And I hate getting screwed.

The people here need to know how the MAFIAA is working to make the issue
into one of control over evil... when in fact they are bigger criminals
than al-Qaeda, and a bigger threat to the sovereignty of our nation than
any enemy in its short (234-year) history.

And not a peep from any of the parties. Not a peep from any of the local
pirates. Not a peep from anyone that I think should be up in arms about
this.

Inaction rules. Shame on you.