[pp.int.general] Obama's support for his election campaign

Thomas Burke mrthomasjburke at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 10:55:11 CET 2010

I have to say I agree with Ray. There has been a lot of bithcing and
whining from some US pirates about inconsequential bullshit and very
little about stuff that really matters. Grow up and get your little
pissing contest over with so you can start working towards having a
strong party that has half a chance of making a change.

2010/1/26 Ray Jenson <ray.jenson at gmail.com>:
> Apologies to the international parties, but this is a moment of shame
> for the party that I've helped in the past. This is a moment of shame,
> because for 2 years I worked on a project to the detriment of my health.
> I sacrificed family time, personal liberties, and even religious
> advancement because of the PPUS. Anyone who says I don't believe in the
> aims of that party should know just how much I've given up in support of
> those aims. So what is this lengthy diatribe about?
>
> I received some disturbing news today. This regards the US Pirate Party,
> and shows the result of ineffective direction. And here we are, five
> days later, and nothing has been done. NOTHING!
>
> I spoke to President Obama's campaign people in 2007 when he was running
> for President. I was assured that Obama's group was on the side of the
> people, and that reduction in "intellectual property laws" was a
> necessary thing.
>
> I spoke to him again four months later, when he agreed that there needed
> to be a reduction in copyright and more consumer protection.
>
> This is the result:
>
> http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/01/obama-supports-filesharing-verdict/
>
> This is you, Pirate Party in the United States. This is an opportunity
> to act. Action is required. There is no room for debate on that fact.
> There is room for debate on how it should be handled.
>
> This is an escalation to civil war on the part of the Obama
> administration. History shows that this is exactly the kind of move that
> occurs right before people decide to commit to a violent resolution. My
> hope is that it never comes to that... but this is history in the
> making, right down the line. We are at a point where remaining
> ineffective is not only leading us down a path which has historically
> led to war, but also that the one person we were holding out hope for
> someone whose strongest statement is that copyright infringement
> "creates a public harm that Congress determined must be deterred."
>
> This is the same Congress that Obama campaigned against, the same one
> that Lawrence Lessig wants to help change, and with the US Supreme Court
> decision that corporations are now allowed to determine who is elected
> more than people are, we are collectively in hot water up to our necks
> because this is what happens when people expect others to do something
> for us--something we aren't willing to do for ourselves.
>
> To those in the Pirate Party organizations in the US right now:
>
> Shame on you for fighting over internal power when we have these kinds
> of things happening.
>
> Shame on you for splitting into multiple groups because you want to
> whine about who should be in charge.
>
> Shame on you for throwing accusations against the very people who
> believe in the processes of freedom and democracy that you whine about.
>
> I worked with Andrew for 2 years. I worked with Glen for a year. I know
> [...]

which it is addressed and may contain confidential and or privileged
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from any computer.