[pp.int.general] Lawrence Lessig Was :Obama's support for his election campaign

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Wed Jan 27 06:44:42 CET 2010

>> The discussion about the US pirate party made me wonder : what about
>> Lawrence Lessig and the Pirate Party ? I see that on 2008 he had some
>> reserves about it :
>> http://torrentfreak.com/lessig-questions-pirate-party-existence-080308/
>> Is he still on this position ? Is he maybe on the list ? (Hi Lawrence)
>>
>> He was mainly questioning the use of the word "pirate", for
>> understandable reasons, but are there discussions with him ? As a
>> proponent of transparency and free culture, it seems unreasonable that we
>> can't exchange ideas friendly.
>
> He supports the positions of the PP, but not the name.
>
> That's the last I heard on the subject, and I don't imagine much has
> changed. I'd love it if he could publicly offer support, but his
> political situation isn't the best for that either.

Lessig is a brilliant presenter, and he "invented" the Creative Commons
concept which is a big success imho.

That having said, I noted that Lessig's ideas are not always well
thought-through. I heard himn say at a conference that blank media levies
weren't a bad idea (if any of you believs that is true, I can give you tons
of arguments against). Also, Lessig has been blamed to mix roles when he
acted as an advisory attorney to some copyright owners.

Lessig, recently appointed at Harvard (and even more recently he received a
honorary doctorate from Amsterdam University) is by all means a VERY
ambitious man. He may "use" the PP movement if and when it suits him, but
don't ever expect him to fully endorse the PP ideals.

reinier