[pp.int.general] The EU to enforce digital privacy againt facebook/linkedIn/etc.?

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Sun Jan 31 11:06:10 CET 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 09:21 +0100, Sven Clement wrote:
> Knowing Reding this is much more of a populist statement than a real
> promise, never forget that she is member of the European People Party
> which is more of a surveillance party than a party respecting your
> rights. Furthermore is she member of the luxembourgish CSV whose
> "ministre de l'intérieur" installed cameras and who when asked if he
> did the evaluation requested by the law denied and said: "Because
> security is a fundamental right, we do not need to justify it!"
>

> So what do you really expect from her?
>

> Still we have to welcome her approaches to regulate the telco market
> in Europe where she was responsible for major reductions in roaming
> costs!

Ah, the EU!

Speaks out of both sides of it's mouth in at least a dozen languages.

They'll give us privacy from big, bad corporations once they've built
their precious Project INDECT system so *they* can monitor people's
every move and scrap of communication to try and predict who is a
threat.

I *still* have not heard anything in the way of substantive answers from
Assistant Chief Constable Drew Harris of the Police Service of Northern
Ireland on how he's qualified to be head of the Ethics Board for a major
European project into Internet and real-world monitoring and
surveillance.

Of course, that's what happens when police forces have Public Relations
offices.

--
Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>|http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Brian_McNeil
Content of this message in no way represents the opinions or official position