[pp.int.general] ACTA declaration

Maxime Rouquet maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
Fri Jul 9 10:19:47 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Boris Turovskiy <tourovski at gmail.com> wrote:

> can you please explain where the principal difference is between me sharing
> a car with my friend and me sharing a song with my friend?

A car is an object. If you drive your car, nobody else can. It is your
property. You are free to share it with people or to keep it for yourself,
but if you let someone else drive it, you cannot use it in the meantime.

A song is not physical. You can sing it while a thousand people sing it at
the same time. You can easily make a digital copy of a music without
stealing anything from the people who have the original. You may have rights
on your song, but property is a nonsense.

This is a huge difference, enough to consider intellectual property as
inconsistent
with pirate ideas.

(And please, keep calm, and do not insult people…)