[pp.int.general] question about organisation of national pirate parties

aloa5 piratenpartei at t-online.de
Wed Mar 10 13:36:22 CET 2010

Reinier Bakels schrieb:

> I believe that direct democracy is indispensable for a political
> organisation. Do you?

Yes and no. Direct democracy means (in fact) everyone has a (real)
chance for voting. You would need something like postal voting for
implementing this. Not cheap (or easy) at all.

One man one vote elevtions of officials during sessions in wich members
have to be physically present are more likely to be entered. It could
happen. And it could have happened to the program of PP-DE before we
changed our rules. At the beginning there was no 4 weeks rule in wich
the proposals for changings have to be submitted. *g* There was even a
joke from a former member that he would come to a party conference 2009
with some friends implementing a point "rescue the Whales".

German Pirates are working on two ways solving the problems for direct
democracy.

One way: not only a party conference at one location but more, connected
with video/audio-streams. This would allow more members to be physically
present.

Another way: liquid democracy (delegated voting). There you would be
able to be physically present OR you can delegate your voting if not.

Not easy to manage either one of this two ... or both.

For a political organisation I would prefer this two ways. Reason for
this is logical and can be seen every day. If you concentrate might the
persons holding will be the aim of attacks by lobbying groups (mostly
the officials) wich are in the party and as seen before SWIFT decision
also for attacks from other lobbying groups.

Direct democracy because it removes some tactical options out of
elections/decisions.

Regards
Otmar alias aloa5