[pp.int.general] question about organisation of national pirate parties

Reinier Bakels r.bakels at planet.nl
Wed Mar 10 17:25:49 CET 2010

> Reinier Bakels schrieb:
>
>> I believe that direct democracy is indispensable for a political
>> organisation. Do you?
>
> Yes and no. Direct democracy means (in fact) everyone has a (real) chance
> for voting. You would need something like postal voting for implementing
> this. Not cheap (or easy) at all.

<snip>
Thx for the update! yes, I know, German association law is notorious. I know
an international organisation founded by a German professor (in a very
different field) which adopted Danish association law - for simpilcity sake.

If you say it is not cheap not easy: my experience is that in associations
usually very few members show up at general assemblies, and usually there is
no remote voting. General Assemblies really are a "safety valve": the board
usually does or delegates the work, and the GA only interferes if something
goes really wrong, in their eyes. Well, because the board knows that the
safety valve exists, they will refrain from doing things that are likely to
upset a majority of the members.

For a political party, perhaps the most complicated thing is to decide on
political positions. Anayway, as far as Dutch law is concerned, elected
representatives are supposed to act independently (which does not preclude
having occasional congresses where members can vote). But elected voters are
supposed to represent (of course) all voters, and according to the Dutch
constitution, they are even supposed to foster the general interest (which
is pretty remote from some politicians).

reinier