[pp.int.general] EU block filter

bakel362 at planet.nl bakel362 at planet.nl
Tue Mar 30 14:51:10 CEST 2010

The problem with filtering is that the PP should by all means avoid the impression not to be opposed against child porn! In NL, we had for some time the pedo-party (which was a failure), don't let anyone think that this PP is related to our PP!

Dutch civil rights organisation Bits Of Freedom i.m.o. gave the proper argument: filtering distracts from the real issue (*). Smart pedophiles will find their own ways to share pictures (which makes them even hard to find for the police!). So filtering is only a burden to *stupid* pedophiles. And to lots of people who can't get access to their legitimate websites, e.g. for adult porn. And it brings us on the slippery slope that censorship can be legitimate under circumstances.

The dutch constitution is explicit: checking info *in advance* (before publishing) is *never* allowed. (There is just one exception: commercial advertising.) Of course, *after* publication one might be exposed to criminal prosecution.

reinier

(*) Similar to the Christmas Detroit bomber. First "Pavlov" reaction of the authorities: we need more equipment, and we should forget ethical reservations about total body scans! While actually the authorities made the dreadful mistake to ignore the alarming phone calls that preceded this accident.