[pp.int.general] EU block filter

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Wed Mar 31 01:08:11 CEST 2010

It is hard to oppose censorship while admitting that some works (never
mind what) are so bad it would be nice if they could be censored.  So
we need to reject the idea that disgust for a work justifies censoring
it.  Regardless of what the reason for the disgust may be, censorship
is always wrong.

I have never seen child pornography, so I cannot have any opinion
about it, but I have seen movies that I found utterly disgusting.  For
instance, Pulp Fiction disgusted me with its violence.  I intend never
to see such a movie again, but I am opposed to censoring it, because
censorship is more disgusting than any possible movie.

I made that argument in a panel discussion with people connected in
various ways with cinema, and they had no comeback.  I think it showed
them that there is no limit to what might be censored if we tolerate
censorship.

We should also reject the automatic supposition that anyone who
watches child porn (even repeatedly) will try, or even wish, to have
sex with children.