[pp.int.general] EU block filter

Boris Turovskiy tourovski at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 01:21:09 CEST 2010

On 31.03.2010 01:08, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I made that argument in a panel discussion with people connected in
> various ways with cinema, and they had no comeback.  I think it showed
> them that there is no limit to what might be censored if we tolerate
> censorship.

I don't agree with you on that one, as any idea can be led ad absurdum
(or to terrible consequences) using such constructed arguments. One of
the main points that we brought up during the protests against the
internet censorship law in Germany last year was the fact that the
blocking of websites was to be based on closed lists compiled in an
intransparent procedure which would facilitate and invite any kind of
abuse of the law. Censorship which is conducted in such a way is quite
different from censorship subject to clear legislatory and judicative
regulations and open procedures, and while the second type is by no
means harmless, it should be open to discussion, unlike the first type
which has to be rejected without reservations.

> We should also reject the automatic supposition that anyone who
> watches child porn (even repeatedly) will try, or even wish, to have
> sex with children.

Now we should leave _this_ discussion out of the censorship topic -
while the discsussion itself is very serious and challenging, entwining
the topics of censorship and child pornography means automatically
playing on our enemy's field, as you like to say.

Best regards,
Boris