[pp.int.general] International Pirate Day

Kenneth Peiruza kenneth at contralaguerra.org
Mon May 3 08:25:15 CEST 2010

Hi all,

    I do also like Turing's birthday, as he was so terribly treated and
he made amazing progress in computing and on defeating the Nazis,
however, I would personally prefer to honor the man who invented the
first machine/way for massive culture and knowledge distribution:

    Johannes Gutenberg ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Gutenberg

    UN choosen Catalan's book day (St. George's, 23rd of April) to make
the world book day, so, Gutenberg has no big day for such an amazing
contribution to mankind!

    Sadly, birth date is unknown, however death date is 3rd of February.

Points in favor:

    - Not linked to any kind of disrupting background: he even used the
cash of the bible's project to print a lot of other books, he got sued
for this reason and lost all his money for that.
    - That day has no big event around (as far as I could check it,
please correct  me if I'm wrong)       - His invention made it possible
knowledge/culture/leisure/ideas distribution like never before (also
novels could not exist without printers!). Probably the biggest
contributor in such aspects in whole history (appart from that who
invented scripture, but we don't know about he/she)
    - Not linked to IT (so easier to widespread)

Points against it:

    - Only for this year: that day is already passed!

What do you think?

Cheers!

Kenneth Peiruza
Partido Pirata (.es)