[pp.int.general] International Pirate Day

Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov bogo at piratskapartia.bg
Mon May 3 08:29:06 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Kenneth Peiruza
<kenneth at contralaguerra.org>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    I do also like Turing's birthday, as he was so terribly treated and
> he made amazing progress in computing and on defeating the Nazis,
> however, I would personally prefer to honor the man who invented the
> first machine/way for massive culture and knowledge distribution:
>
>    Johannes Gutenberg ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Gutenberg
>
>    UN choosen Catalan's book day (St. George's, 23rd of April) to make
> the world book day, so, Gutenberg has no big day for such an amazing
> contribution to mankind!

I like it man !!!

>    Sadly, birth date is unknown, however death date is 3rd of February.
>
> Points in favor:
>
>    - Not linked to any kind of disrupting background: he even used the
> cash of the bible's project to print a lot of other books, he got sued
> for this reason and lost all his money for that.
>    - That day has no big event around (as far as I could check it,
> please correct  me if I'm wrong)       - His invention made it possible
> knowledge/culture/leisure/ideas distribution like never before (also
> novels could not exist without printers!). Probably the biggest
> contributor in such aspects in whole history (appart from that who
> invented scripture, but we don't know about he/she)
>    - Not linked to IT (so easier to widespread)
>
> Points against it:
>
>    - Only for this year: that day is already passed!
>

> What do you think?
>

> Cheers!
>
> Kenneth Peiruza
> Partido Pirata (.es)
>
> En/na W Tovey ha escrit:
> > Ships have been around for something like 10,000 years. Naval pirates
> > seem to have been around (and documented) since at least the 13th
> > century BC. Anyway, if St Columba's day isn't appropriate, how about
> > Alan Turing's birthday - although I don't think we should emphasise
> > the computer aspect too much - we're not a computer movement.
> >
> > -Will
> >
> > On 02/05/2010 14:27, Alex wrote:
> >> i don't think they had ships in 597 :-)
> >>
> >> i suggest may 19 - birthday of Gary Kildall
> >> or july 11 - his death date.

Bogomil "Bogo" Shopov
Pirate Party Bulgaria
http://piratskapartia.bg

Blogger, FOSS and Mozilla advocate, Digital Rights Warrior.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/bogomep
Blog: http://mozgull.bogomil.info
CV: http://www.linkedin.com/in/bogomil
GPG: 0x03CCF750