[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Alexandre Leray newsletters at alexandreleray.com
Thu May 13 03:56:21 CEST 2010

Dear Boris,

in my opinion you miss something important here: Free Software
challenges the separation of production vs consumption by encouraging
its users to be involved in the process of making. In your paper you say
"[...] a program is acquired to be used, not to be modified or
distributed." or it is exactly the contrary that makes me interested in
FS. While each user might not be able to read or modify the code, there
are many ways he/she can be implied: getting involved in a mailing list
discussion and in the elaboration of the tools, bug reporting, writing
tutorials, etc..

There shouldn't be any "end-users", this is why it is a question of
philosophy and not only a question of method. The software industry is
turning its "targets" into pure computation through marketing
strategies, Free Software is about empowering people by giving them
access to the sources (of code, of knowledge...), and more generally by
helping defining their own needs and constructing their own tools.

Best,

Alexandre Leray