[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Percy Hatcherson despero at gmail.com
Thu May 13 23:35:59 CEST 2010

On the other hand, they are a legal entity that accepts responsibility
(willingly or not) for their code. If it does something really bad, they
will be made to pay. You can't say the same about free software. If
office does bad things, I can sue MS, ditto photoshop with Adobe or
Solidworks with Solidworks Inc. Who is accepting responsibility for,
say, Inkscape? Who will be made to take responsibility for any mess that
inkscape might cause? Answer  - no one. Proprietary software companies
have that as an incentive NOT to do bad things. Whats the incentive to
stop some person doing that with free software?

Andrew, the incentive is called a conscience, something corporations don't
have. No one and nothing is perfect, but I would certainly trust an actual
human being over a corporation any day. Do you really think corporations
will be "made to pay" in any sort of fair sense for the damage they
consistently cause? Of course not. Just look at the BP oil disaster that's
going on right now. The legal system is a servant of corporate interests.
Corporations can bend the legal system to their will more than any human
being can. If you think you can successfully use the legal system against a
corporate giant, you must have quite a bit of belief in your abilities (and
your financial resources). Corporate accountability and responsibility? Oh,
come on! Let's be realistic here.