[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Felipe Sanches juca at members.fsf.org
Thu May 13 21:18:44 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Boris Turovskiy <tourovski at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 13.05.2010 01:30, Felipe Sanches wrote:
>
>> How much time would he have to wait for it if he had emailed Corel or
>> Adobe?
>>
>> Results:
>> * He is a happy non-coder user with a practical issue solved
>> * I am a coder happy about being helpful to others
>>
> What you write about is a _practical_ advantage of OpenSource/Free
> software. I don't argue that there are practical advantages, I really enjoy
> them.
> What I'm rallying against is the FSF's view that it's not the practical
> advantages but the philosophical ones that matter - and that is simple
> bullshit.

why do you think that has motivated me to become a free software developer
at all? Yes, Mr Stallman articles!
I showed you a practical advantage, but my motivations are strongly
philosophical.

And, please, don't say that our strong commitment (it's been almost 3
decades of hard work...) to user autonomy and our struggle to unlock
creativity is bullshit! What are your personal goals?