[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Boris Turovskiy tourovski at gmail.com
Thu May 13 22:59:51 CEST 2010

On 13.05.2010 22:53, Radosław Nadstawny wrote:
> Well, if we allowed this "great lot of people" to make key decisions
> about everyone's freedom, we would end up pretty screwed. The only
> thing your "great lot of people" cares about is convenience.
Yes, because software is a TOOL, for god's sake, not some battlefield
for human rights! When I choose between buying a car and leasing it
(which limits my "freedom", for example by placing a restriction on the
number of miles I may drive), I don't give a damn about this limitation
if it doesn't really affect me - I look for the price/effect ratio.

By the way, free software will never make any breakthrough until your
(and many Free Software activists') deregatory evaluation of convenience
is changed. And that is good.

> Let's make it clear - I have no intention of protecting people from the
> consequences of their own choices. If someone chooses proprietary
> software, I'm fine with it, as everyone should have the choice. I just
> don't want to allow corporations to take away the freedom that free
> software gives, from those who are enjoying it.

We're on one side on that matter, then - I surely don't want to restrict
anyone's use of free software. I do not wish, however, that the Pirate
movement joins the FSF in proclaiming proprietary software to be in any
way "unethical".

Best regards,
Boris