[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Radosław Nadstawny radoslaw.nadstawny at o2.pl
Thu May 13 23:17:29 CEST 2010

On Thu, 13 May 2010 22:59:51 +0200
Boris Turovskiy <tourovski at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13.05.2010 22:53, Radosław Nadstawny wrote:
> > Well, if we allowed this "great lot of people" to make key decisions
> > about everyone's freedom, we would end up pretty screwed. The only
> > thing your "great lot of people" cares about is convenience.
> Yes, because software is a TOOL, for god's sake, not some battlefield
> for human rights! When I choose between buying a car and leasing it
> (which limits my "freedom", for example by placing a restriction on
> the number of miles I may drive), I don't give a damn about this
> limitation if it doesn't really affect me - I look for the
> price/effect ratio.
>
> By the way, free software will never make any breakthrough until your
> (and many Free Software activists') deregatory evaluation of
> convenience is changed. And that is good.

It's not a fact, only your opinion, so I won't comment on this.

> > Let's make it clear - I have no intention of protecting people from
> > the consequences of their own choices. If someone chooses
> > proprietary software, I'm fine with it, as everyone should have the
> > choice. I just don't want to allow corporations to take away the
> > freedom that free software gives, from those who are enjoying it.
> >
> We're on one side on that matter, then - I surely don't want to
> restrict anyone's use of free software. I do not wish, however, that
> the Pirate movement joins the FSF in proclaiming proprietary software
> to be in any way "unethical".

I'm glad to see that. I also don't consider proprietary software
unethical as long as noone is forced to use it. In my view, "forcing"
includes the situations in which someone is required to use it in
order to maintain his normal social functioning.