[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Boris Turovskiy tourovski at gmail.com
Thu May 13 23:53:31 CEST 2010

Ahoi Percy,
the main reasons for me to join the Pirates have been that it's about
the only movement which has a view on copyright that I consider
acceptable and contemporary, and also that unlike traditional political
parties which are stuck with age-old positions and policies in the
Pirate movement everybody can contribute (the irony is not lost on me
that the second part is exactly contrary to what I've stated in my
article about "users" - in that case, "political users" who want to vote
on policies, not work on them).
However, problems caused by modern copyright and its enforcement affect
everybody, up to the point when I can't legally make a copy of a DVD for
my own backup. The Pirate movement couldn't achieve the successes it has
if we had been as depreciating of people's needs as the FSF's policy
implies.

Best regards,
Boris