[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Marco Confalonieri marco.confalonieri at email.it
Fri May 14 11:14:30 CEST 2010

I.K. ha scritto:

> To me this point of view also seems anti-pirate in a certain sense.
> Think about what do we stand for fundamentaly. A wording may be
> different, but it is basically that people's free access to
> information (as long as it is not for commercial purposes) is their
> fundamental right. And restricting this access is unethical.
Apart from this, I strongly believe that the Pirate Movement comes more
or less directly from the same source that ignited the Free Software
Movement, which is the hacker culture. In effect, I think the Free
Software licenses were the first succesful attempt to put in a legal
document the hacker principles. The Open Source and Creative Commons
concepts derived directly from the Free Software idea. IMHO the
statements put forward by the Pirate movements widened the application
of the concepts already expressed in the principles of FS, OSS, CC to
the entire society.

Just my two cents.

--
Marco Confalonieri