[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Matthias Weiler | Piratenpartei Österrei Matthias Weiler | Piratenpartei Österrei
Sat May 15 02:23:51 CEST 2010

On 05/14/2010 07:52 PM, Andrew Norton wrote:
> On 5/13/2010 4:11 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
>> You also have the option of paying people of your choice to study
>> and/or change the program for you.  That way, you choose who to trust.
>>
> In buying propriety software, that's exactly what we're doing? The
> difference is that the ones we've paid to check, are also the ones that
> wrote it.

If you decide to use proprietary software you decide to fully trust the
developer. As soon as your trust level is less than 100% you have to
remove the software and find an alternative.

I do trust some software developers but it's hard to trust if you know
that their primary goal ist profit. And the only one I do fully trust
and keep that over years is myself.

--
Matthias Weiler
Vorstand der Piratenpartei Österreichs

Jabber: matthias at jabber.piratenpartei.at
Tel.: +43 664 4137479

Bitte beachten Sie, dass im Rahmen der Vorratsdatenspeicherung zukünftig
jeglicher Kontakt mit mir sechs Monate lang gespeichert wird.
Please beware that due to pending data retention, soon any contact with
me will be stored for six months.

Freies Wissen! Freie Kultur! Freie Menschen!
Free Knowledge! Free Culture! Free People!
- http://www.piratenpartei.at