[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sat May 15 22:27:08 CEST 2010

    > You also have the option of paying people of your choice to study
    > and/or change the program for you.  That way, you choose who to trust.

    In buying propriety software, that's exactly what we're doing? The
    difference is that the ones we've paid to check, are also the ones that
    wrote it.

That's called "paying the fox to guard the henhouse."  With free
software you can hire the guards of your choice (or do it yourself);
you are not required to entrust this to the fox.