[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Ole Husgaard pirat at sparre.dk
Sat May 15 06:29:02 CEST 2010

Hi,

While I agree with most you said here, I disagree with the following
statement:

I.K. skrev:
> Nobody, not even FSF preaches for an obligation to share anything.

FSF is recommending copyleft, and this includes an obligation to share
the source code when modified copies are distributed in binary form. So
you can say that FSF is preaching for an obligation to share.

But Boris is missing an important point: This is something you only have
to accept if your work is based on (a derivative of) works created by
others requiring this. If your work is entirely your own, you cannot be
bound by such an obligation.

Best Regards,

Ole Husgaard.