[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

I.K. aeroclub.ep at gmail.com
Fri May 14 21:30:07 CEST 2010

> If a writer

writes a book and locks it in their drawer, we don't arrive at their
> door saying "Show us the book, you don't have the rights to restrict our
> access to it!"; neither can we force a band to put their releases online
> in uncompressed form if they decide to only release them in mp3. In the
> same way, if a software developer writes a program and releases only the
> compiled version, not the code, it's his right. After all, we require
> that there be a right of sharing, not an obligation to do so.
>
> Best regards,
> Boris

Nobody, not even FSF preaches for an obligation to share anything. They only
talk about philosophy and how sharing (including a source code) is ethically
better - thus, encouraging us to use "free" licences. Their philosophy is
about giving people freedom and empowering them - so I don't think it's a
good idea to outright call it "bullshit" like you did before.
In the end of the day, I just fail to see any points where you would
fundamentally disagree with FSF philosophy apart from commercial use which
is a different story altogether. You say that majority doesn't need "4
software freedoms" - but having them anyway is not going to hurt, right? So
there is no problem there really. And to me it also seems like this is the
case:

> Maybe. I wouldn't care that much if not for constant wailings by some
> people that as a true Pirate I mustn't use Skype, Windows and the pdf
> format:)

- so presentation of FSF ideas and forcing them (which itself goes against
the FSF idea!) on you is the problem, not the philosophy itself.