[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Boris Turovskiy tourovski at gmail.com
Mon May 17 21:39:55 CEST 2010

Ahoi,
while a nice flamewar has been happening on this ML, the PPDE's General
Assembly which held a meeting this weekend decided on including a
chapter on free software in our policy statement.
I'll translate it in the future , a short overview is that we now have
two independent chapters, one focusing on copyright and non-commercial
copying and the other explicitly regarding free software. In that new
chapter we state (roughly) that we support the use of free software and
open standards for the sake of independence from industrial corporations
and the protection of the citizens' freedoms and privacy.
I'm quite happy with that, because on one hand we now have a definite
statement on endorsement and support of free software, while on the
other hand our focus when talking about a reform of copyright remains on
the aspects of allowing private and non-commercial copying.

Best regards,
Boris