[pp.int.general] Why Free Software misses the point

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue May 18 23:00:05 CEST 2010

    Isn't this distinction a cultural construction?

I suppose it is, but I don't think that is a problem.  Laws and
ethical principles make many distinctions based on cultural
categories.

						    I don't think software
    is only a functional product --  it is loaded with design and culture.

You are right, to some extent, but you've also changed the subject.
My criterion is about the purpose of the work: whether it serves a
practical, functional purpose.  You are talking about what the work is
made of.  A practical, functional work may have esthetic elements, but
that is not important for this purpose.

Design is certainly present because every program is designed.  I
don't see that this constitutes a problem.

When you say "culture" here, I am not sure what you have in mind.  The
accumulated wisdom of programmers about how to design programs?
Comments that make references to common concepts?  They are present,
don't see that they constitutes a problem or objection to the
criterion I propose.