[pp.int.general] Court Decision - Equitable Remuneration

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Thu Nov 4 11:11:39 CET 2010

I reported the argument I have seen others make.
If you want to argue with it, you should argue with them, not with me.

    If filesharing is good, why I need to pay to use it? If is good, they passes
    Berne three-step test <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_three-step_test>,
    then it would be a "exception" like fair use in the USA.

There seem to be influential people in Brazil who think that is mistaken.
I hope you can convince them they are wrong.

    2. Simply legalizing sharing would lead to punishment by the WTO.

    Not. becouse the TRIPS treaty have a hole for "exceptions" to skip
    copyright monopoly, for example, the fair use mentioned.

There seem to be influential people in Brazil who think that is mistaken.
I hope you can convince them they are wrong.

I do not like the idea of a flat rate fee to "compensate the rights
holders" because I think that "compensating the rights holders" is a
misguided and bad goal.  It is tantamount to subsidizing the
businesses that campaign against our freedom.  If it is possible
to avoid doing this, I am all for it.

However, I am in favor of using tax money (perhaps from a flat fee on
internet connectivity) for a different purpose: to support many
individual artists.  Supporting a broad range of artists is good.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/dat.html for the original version
of that proposal.

--
Richard Stallman