[pp.int.general] Court Decision - Equitable Remuneration

Rodrigo Pereira rodrigo2kpereira at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 14:32:14 CET 2010

2010/11/4 Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>

> I reported the argument I have seen others make.
> If you want to argue with it, you should argue with them, not with me.
>
>    If filesharing is good, why I need to pay to use it? If is good, they
> passes
>     Berne three-step test <
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_three-step_test>,
>     then it would be a "exception" like fair use in the USA.
>
> There seem to be influential people in Brazil who think that is mistaken.
> I hope you can convince them they are wrong.

I'm not trying to convince you but I'm trying to expose why flat rate
propose have weak basis. I'm trying to expose always a new argument. For
example, my new argument against flat rate in Brazil is: "In brazil we have
a broadband access one of most expensive in the world. The current public
policies about internet is create subsidies, not taxes." And "About 30% of
home internet in Brazil is a dialout conection, they will pay the same tax?"
And perhaps: "In Brazil, we have small cities that uses a public wireless
network for free to entire city. People that uses internet for free in this
cities will pay a new tax? Is impossible internet for free?"

>    2. Simply legalizing sharing would lead to punishment by the WTO.
>
>    Not. becouse the TRIPS treaty have a hole for "exceptions" to skip
>    copyright monopoly, for example, the fair use mentioned.
>
> There seem to be influential people in Brazil who think that is mistaken.
> I hope you can convince them they are wrong.

I would like very much meet these persons. You have names, or perhaps email
addresses?

I recomend this reading about interpretation of "three-steps test":
http://www.ip.mpg.de/shared/data/pdf/declaration_three_steps.pdf
But the questiom is: Filesharing is against creators interest? I think not,
in contrary.

Rodrigo