[pp.int.general] PPi ask Anonymous to stop Payback

Tim Dobson lists at tdobson.net
Sun Nov 21 14:10:24 CET 2010

As previously emphasised, subject is misleading: s/PPi/PPUK and PPUS/

On 20/11/10 15:47, Choms wrote:
> I think our friends missed send it to the list, so I'll send it ^^
>
> http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-parties-use-influence-to-halt-operation-payback-101120/

As someone who has stood as a candidate[1] in the May UK general
election for PPUK, I fully endorse the letter.

When you go from door to door and speak to person after person it
quickly becomes clear what policies go down well with the general
populace, what the public think is unfair and what people really don't
like the idea of.

It is incredibly hard to stand up for an "honest" political party with
unlawful actions going on all around you. It's already difficult to get
your message across clearly only 1 in 50 has heard of you, if someone
has heard of your name in a negative light, but doesn't really know what
you stand for, clearing that first impression can be exceptionally
tough. Give it a try, you'll see what I meant fairly quickly.

It's even harder to persuade technology industry experts who may
fundamentally agree with our stance but are put off by actions that
cause them headaches or embarrassment on a day to day basis.

There are essentially three major groups of people who need to be
brought round: the music industry, the technology industry and the
legislators. Unfortunately, DDOS's impress none of those groups.

However, it's important to remember that there's lots fun, enjoyable and
amusing things you can do to help campaigns;
Home Taping is Killing Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3jkUhG68wY
Creativity is the Enemy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Ru8qlQEH0
Only Idiots Assume: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st2tWxB5Fc8

I particularly liked how the ccmixter.org community responded to the
ASCAP attack on Creative Commons:
http://ccmixter.org/thread/2282
results: http://ccmixter.org/playlist/browse/8300

one of the neatest things we did during my campaign was to create this:
http://www.amiapirate.org/
(a bit broken at the moment)

If you can't think of any funny, legal ways to campaign, then it may be
that you're not thinking creatively enough. Fortunately, I think this
list would be a great place to ask for suggestions of fun, legal ideas
for campaigns.

I'd suggest everyone should have a go - 6 hours of knocking on doors
explaining "why X is important" is a incredibly good way to get a very
worldly perspective of how the public view issues. You may be surprised
by how useful this is in improving your campaigning.

Have a great day everyone. :)

Tim
(speaking on behalf of myself and myself alone)

[1] http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/party/candidates/tim-dobson/