[pp.int.general] PPi ask Anonymous to stop Payback & Mr Norton

Maxime Rouquet maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
Mon Nov 22 00:02:52 CET 2010

On 11/21/2010 11:14 PM, Gabriel Serrano wrote:
> and speaking about Ddos attacks as civil disobedience expression, well
> Civil Disobedience is on the roots of every main change which have
> take place on history. When at the end of the XIX workers created
> Unions and began striking it was illegal but they persevered and won,
> Gandhi used it too and won. Why couldn’t Ddos as Civil Disobedience
> finally work?. Nobody is going to ear you because you are kind. Only
> if you have Macht (the force) only then you have a chance.

I think one of the problems of O:P, whatever you think of civil
disobedience, is that it is not very effective to take down most of
these websites. This is not like a strike or a boycott, who have a real
impact on the target.

These groups existed before the Internet era. Taking down their website
sure makes the Internet less ugly for a few hours, but apart from that
it is useless, and counterproductive as they harm the image of Internet
users. So, yes, DDoS attacks mostly help the copyright mafiaas to do
their lobbying.

(btw, the French Parti Pirate took position against DDoS attacks back in
September, when the hadopi.fr website was targeted.)

However, please everybody, try to remain calm and polite. Being rude to
others is never a good way to prove your point, in particular when you
try to explain to them that their behavior is counterproductive...