[pp.int.general] Terminology: P2P

Brendan Molloy brendanmolloy at pirateparty.org.au
Mon Nov 22 13:16:44 CET 2010

To make your argument a little bit more clear, in networking, there is
generally two models of application communication:

- Client/Server model
- Peer-to-Peer model

Now, client server is obviously stuff like HTTP and email, you connect
to a server with a client, and get stuff pumped out at you.

Peer to peer can be considered that each "peer" is both a server and
client at the same time. BitTorrent is almost decentralised peer to
peer, relying only on a tracker to disseminate the IP addresses. Even
then, with DHT, even that is becoming legacy.

It is basically illogical to ban an entire concept, because copyright
infringement is rampant using the client/server model (RapidShare et
al), peer-to-peer (DC++, Gnutella, ED2K, BitTorrent) and the
sneakernet.

That's simply how it is.

On 22 November 2010 21:41, Justus Römeth <squig at dfpx.de> wrote:
> Just a quick thing that I read multiple times, and would like to get
> accross:
>
> - I don't think a country would be monoric to actually say P2P itself is
> illegal. I for one enjoy downloading stuff like Ubuntu via torrents, for
> example. Now sharing copyrighted material, on the other hand, is illegal in
> a few countries, may that be P2P or by other means. I think it is important
> to distinguish between the two, as it is legally (!) not the same thing. If
> we don't distinguish between the two, how can we expect lawmakers from
> traditional parties to do that?
>
> Thx for reading this.
> -J

Regards,