[pp.int.general] PPi ask Anonymous to stop Payback

Maxime Rouquet maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
Tue Nov 23 17:37:26 CET 2010

On 11/23/2010 04:04 PM, Gabriel Serrano wrote:
> Did any other Party in any country do the same? Why should we have any
> influence on Anonymous?
As I already said, french pirate party has called Anonymous not to make
DDoS attacks against hadopi.fr a few weeks ago.

> And whatever you say, an „Ddos Attack“ is another form of civil
> disobedience similar to a street block but with an unfortunate name. A
> new form of disobedience if you want to.
You speak in general. A DDoS attack or a street block is not good or bad
in itself (morally speaking at least), it depends on the context.

In the Anonymous case, it is not a good thing because it has no real
effect, and it is a bad thing because it is used to make politicians and
public opinion believe Internet users are violent (and childish) people.

> Is that illegal? Yes, but law itself is very subjective. The law has a
> meaning when a democratic State legitimize it. I mean, would you obey
> a law against your rational judgment? [...]
Even if you want to reject the law saying any DDoS is illegal, that does
not make *every* DDoS a good thing.

> For me a Ddos ist simply the signal that democracy is beginning to
> lose terrain against big corporations. People want to protest and they
> don't know exactly how. [...]
By voting for us ^^.

> And somebody pointed out Ghandi was kind, no he wasn't, he was rude
> but not violent.
Ghandi once said : "If one has no affection for a person or a system,
one should feel free to give the fullest expression to his disaffection
so long as he does not contemplate, promote, or incite violence."

I think these DDoS attacks are unnecessary (as in useless) violence... A
non-violent yet rude way to protest would be more like a call to boycott
imho.