[pp.int.general] Facebook and trademarks

Gregory Engels Gregory.Engels at piratenpartei-hessen.de
Wed Nov 24 18:10:13 CET 2010

On 24.11.2010, at 17:53, Pat Maechler v/o Valio wrote:

> This April we had a discussion on the pros and cons of the current
> trademark system.
> I'd say most pirates acknowledge that the current system may bear
> certain problems, although they are not as severe as with copyright
> or patents.
>
> In reference to that I'd like to mention 2 cases where Facebook inc
> is steering into a quite questionable direction:
>
> Facebook trademarks the term "face" in the US
> http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/23/patent-office-agrees-to-facebooks-face-trademark/

It looks to me that it is not Facebook, who is steering into a
questionable direction,
but the U.S. Patent And Trademark Office that keeps issuing very
strange trademarks.
Remember Microsoft is having the trademark on "Windows" (and sueing
Lindows,
a Linux deistribution bach in 2002)

> Facebook battles over name with Lamebook, a parody website
> http://voices.washingtonpost.com/blog-post/2010/11/lamebook_and_facebook_battle_o.html
> (and even started to censor it)
> http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/22/facebook-blocks-lamebook/

To be fair, the CTO of Facebook addmitted it was a mistake.

cu,

Gregory Engels
International Coordinator
Pirate Party of Germany