[pp.int.general] Facebook and trademarks

Pat Maechler v/o Valio pirate at valio.ch
Wed Nov 24 17:53:14 CET 2010

This April we had a discussion on the pros and cons of the current
trademark system.
I'd say most pirates acknowledge that the current system may bear
certain problems, although they are not as severe as with copyright or
patents.

In reference to that I'd like to mention 2 cases where Facebook inc is
steering into a quite questionable direction:

Facebook trademarks the term "face" in the US
http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/23/patent-office-agrees-to-facebooks-face-trademark/

Facebook battles over name with Lamebook, a parody website
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/blog-post/2010/11/lamebook_and_facebook_battle_o.html
(and even started to censor it)
http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/22/facebook-blocks-lamebook/

-pat