[pp.int.general] PPI: conference and criticism

Jerry Weyer jerry.weyer at pp-international.net
Wed Oct 6 10:51:03 CEST 2010

Hello Cristian,

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Partidul Piratilor <
contact at partidulpiratilor.ro> wrote:

> The Romanian Piate Party intends to submit the cadidature for organising
> the next conference. However we require from the board to set some criteria
> in order to make a equal, transparent and efficient selection of canditates.
> Practically we ask for criteria to be met and we propose:
> - Duration of the event
> - Conference space for X persons (guesstimate number)
> - Live streaming with X requirements
> - Other data/network requirements
> - Hotel arangements required/not required offered/not offered
> - Lunch, dinner arrangements required/not required offered/not offered
> - Location conditions (eg: a city not in Himalaya)
> - Importance of aditional events: worksops, press conferences, sightseeing
> tours
> - Media exposure conditions

All the requirements are laid down on this page:
http://wiki.pp-international.net/Conference-offers The page was linked in
the e-mail and on the announcement on this list and on the website.

> About the recent criticism of PPI and especially its board:
> Constructive criticism must be always be embraced. At this point we, the
> Romanians, do not feel the advantages of being part in the current PPI.
> However we understand that as a new movement (new - as in less that 50
> years), our movement is strugling to find its identity and its means. This
> is why we will continue to suport the idea of PPI.
> PPI will be as strong as its members are. Without strong national Pirate
> Parties, PPI cannot be now a real force.
> Without strong national Parties, there can be no conference with the
> participation of all Pirate Parties. There will never be a true, face to
> face international conference until proper funding for every member could be
> secured and now this surpasses everybodies posibilities.
> A conference where the statues will be discused in extenso face to face, is
> impractical. The statutes must be finished online and the conferece be only
> a matter of formalism and small corrections. Remember that in international
> agreements the mandate of the delegations are limited, and in the normal way
> of things no delegation can negociate and sign a document.
> I broght this up for discusion in response to the acuses broght to the
> board.
> We all realise thing went wrong last time.
> Still none of the critics is taking steps to make things right.
> To propose modifications to the statute is at everybodies reach. If you are
> not a member of PPI we, as a member,  offer to endorse any initiative in
> order to be in the discussion of the board.
> We do not espect and do not require the board to resign. We espect the
> board to do what they promised.
> We also espect that critics to start doing more than crying wolf. Things
> will not move by themselves, one has to move them.
>
> Concrete:
> We have a PPI board.
> The Romanian Pirate Party, as member, demand the board to start, and
> officially announce the call for amendaments to the statute. Then everybody
> can do something instead of flamewars.

We do not have to call this out officially. Every member can propose
amendements at every time. You can send them to the board and we collect
them (we already have some). As discussed yesterday in the meeting, Jakub
will publish those we already have and publish a summary/list after October
15th. Non-members can always sent their amendments to PPI members and ask
them to sent in their proposals.

> The Romanian Pirate Party, as member, demand the board to present a PPI
> action plan for the next 6 months

What we have planned for the next 6 months:

- plan the conference. This will take most of our attention as we will take
care the mistakes from the last conference will not repeat.
- set up the HQ. Currently I'm looking for a lawyer in Brussels to sign the
statutes of the HQ. We then need to sent in the statutes for royal assent
and make them public.
- finish the calendar. We have set up a PPI calendar at
http://calendar.pp-international.net/ but there are still some bugs to solve
out.
- improve the press release exchange. The PRE is set up at
http://parrot.pp-international.net . There could be some improvements (more
categories) as well as more parties participating. Btw. I didn't get an
answer yet from Romania!
- website redesign. Bogo an Aleksandar have the task to find a team and
redesign the PPI website
- how to create a new party guide: the current guide is being updated (
http://wiki.pp-international.net/Best_practices_for_creating_a_party )
- regular tasks like responding to press inquiries (about 3-4 a month),
visiting conferences (about 1 a month), random inquiries by pirate parties

I might have missed sth. but these are the most important things.

> and a report on the concrete results of the last 6 months. We say concrete
> results not unfinished initiatives.

- we have our own webspace now. This will help to make transitions easier
for future boards and reduce the bus factor (more than one person has
access). The forum and Wiki are still being migrated to the new server.
- we visited several congresses, e.g. Germany, Russia, Switzerland as PPI
representatives. It's on these conferences where those parties decided on
the PPI membership.
- we finished the press release exchange:
http://parrot.pp-international.netIf you find sth. you like on that
site, copy-past and put your name under
it! It's sharing content among Pirate Parties, without licence requirements
(like naming the author). That way parties will low resources can produce
more content/press releases.
- we were helping new and forming parties, e.g. Tunisia, Israel, Russia, and
are still in contact with several people from other countries concerning
their pirate parties, like Ukraine, Hungary, Catalonia
- visiting conferences. On Monday again Gregory will speak in Milan at a
conference. He will sent out a mail to pp-general to announce this soon
(when his travel arrangements are set).
- we created the translation taskforce:
http://wiki.pp-international.net/Translation_task_force There are about
10-12 people (if I remember correctly) persons translating your
messages/texts/articles if you send them in. We translated already a message
(Faces-ageinst-ACTA) and sent it around and got positive feedback.
- we are regularly updating our contact information. With the new board
elections and new parties coming up this is a regular jonb. Atm. our list
has about 70 contacts from 45 countries. If you want to reach all Pirate
Parties or some specific region, contact us an we'll sent it around.
- regular stuff: responding to inquiries from Pirate Parties, answering to
press inquiries/interviews, participating in meetings (like Pirates without
Borders)

here too I certainly missed some thing. But these are the important parts.

We would be glad to get a conference offer from Romania. If you have more
questions concerning the requirements you can contact the board or me and
Gregory directly. I would also like it if you could participate in the press
release exchange, the more languages we have the better. The same goes for
the translation taskforce.

Best regards,

Jerry