[pp.int.general] PPI press release exchange

Gregory Engels gregory.engels at pp-international.net
Sun Oct 10 10:36:29 CEST 2010

On 09.10.2010, at 23:09, Christian Hufgard wrote:

> I was pretty astouned, that we were asked to allow somebody to use our
> hessian press releases. They are intended to be used in the wild...
> That's why we sent them out into the world.

Ahoi Christian,

yes i understand your astonishment, as I too first was astonished, as
I learned
that an additional license was necessary.

But there are court rulings especially from Germany, that states that
a press
release is in fact copyrighted.
See this google translated Article about the LG Hamburg ruling
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-recht24.de%2Fnews%2Furheberrecht%2F456.html

(ok, it also shows how bad the current copyright legislation ist, and
how it is being misused for practically everything. )

And regarding the press releases of the Pirate Party of Hesse:
on the website where the press-releases are published
and where we get them from via the RSS stream
http://www.piratenpartei-hessen.de/presse

it says clearly on the bottom of the page that the material is
licensed under the
Creativ Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Germany License.
This license does not allow to "use them in the wild" but
mandate that the original author is attributed to (for example
with the sentence "the Pirate Party of Hesse tells in a press release
that,....")
and mandates that the publication, that derivates from a hessian
press release should itself be licensed under a cc license.

I understand, that those implications might not be clear for
everyone. But there is no such thing as "press release" clause
in the german copyright.

I'll take this point and add this to the FAQ in the wiki.
http://wiki.pp-international.net/Press_release_FAQ

sincerely yours,

Gregory Engels
Co-Chairman