[pp.int.general] PPI press release exchange

Christian Hufgard pp at christian-hufgard.de
Sun Oct 10 11:33:26 CEST 2010

Am 10.10.2010 10:36, schrieb Gregory Engels:
> But there are court rulings especially from Germany, that states that a
> press
> release is in fact copyrighted.
> See this google translated Article about the LG Hamburg ruling
> http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-recht24.de%2Fnews%2Furheberrecht%2F456.html

This was a very special case - the copying laywer did not state the
source of the citations he used. He used content written by another
laywer in a way as if it was written by himself.

> And regarding the press releases of the Pirate Party of Hesse:
> on the website where the press-releases are published
> and where we get them from via the RSS stream
> http://www.piratenpartei-hessen.de/presse
>
> it says clearly on the bottom of the page that the material is
> licensed under the
> Creativ Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Germany License.
> This license does not allow to "use them in the wild" but
> mandate that the original author is attributed to (for example
> with the sentence "the Pirate Party of Hesse tells in a press release
> that,....")
> and mandates that the publication, that derivates from a hessian
> press release should itself be licensed under a cc license.

Well... We send the press releases via mail to some dozen peoples. I
never attached any licence tags to my e-mails.

You mentioned the RSS feed. Its existence strengthens my view. If we did
not want really simple syndication, it would be pretty dumbass to
provide a RSS feed, wouldn't it?

Maybe this is a misunderstanding and there is no real need for exchange
of press releases but for articles written by pirates? But even there I
do not see the need to present someones elses work as the own. If I copy
an article, I mention the author.

Christian