[pp.int.general] PPI press release exchange

Jerry Weyer jerry.weyer at pp-international.net
Sun Oct 10 11:46:24 CEST 2010

Hello,

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Christian Hufgard <pp at christian-hufgard.de
> wrote:

> Am 10.10.2010 10:36, schrieb Gregory Engels:
> > But there are court rulings especially from Germany, that states that a
> > press
> > release is in fact copyrighted.
> > See this google translated Article about the LG Hamburg ruling
> >
> http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e-recht24.de%2Fnews%2Furheberrecht%2F456.html
>
> This was a very special case - the copying laywer did not state the
> source of the citations he used. He used content written by another
> laywer in a way as if it was written by himself.
>

> > And regarding the press releases of the Pirate Party of Hesse:
> > on the website where the press-releases are published
> > and where we get them from via the RSS stream
> > http://www.piratenpartei-hessen.de/presse
> >
> > it says clearly on the bottom of the page that the material is
> > licensed under the
> > Creativ Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Germany License.
> > This license does not allow to "use them in the wild" but
> > mandate that the original author is attributed to (for example
> > with the sentence "the Pirate Party of Hesse tells in a press release
> > that,....")
> > and mandates that the publication, that derivates from a hessian
> > press release should itself be licensed under a cc license.
>
> Well... We send the press releases via mail to some dozen peoples. I
> never attached any licence tags to my e-mails.

Even if you don't attach any licence tags, it doesn't mean no licence
applies! Public domain doesn't even exist is some countries!

> You mentioned the RSS feed. Its existence strengthens my view. If we did
> not want really simple syndication, it would be pretty dumbass to
> provide a RSS feed, wouldn't it?

It's a difference if you provide someome with your work or let him use it
without any strings attached! Also the legal implications might vary in
different countries. We went with the safe road and wanted authorizations
from every Pirate Party; that way noone can say to others "you used my press
release without my authorization".

Of course this is all theoretical; when noone complains, nothing happens.
But I'd rather ask everyone beforehand than fight afterwards.

> Maybe this is a misunderstanding and there is no real need for exchange
> of press releases but for articles written by pirates? But even there I
> do not see the need to present someones elses work as the own. If I copy
> an article, I mention the author.

It's always better when you can add you own name under a press release. The
press release was created to help Parties with limited resources. Not every
Pirate Party has 13.000 members and can find a team of several people
writing a press release in 2-3 hours! Now they can chose their language,
copy the text and send it out with their name on it. Especially for
international topics this can be helpful. For me this is a practical
application of "sharing is caring" and cooperation among Pirate Parties!

Btw. Nothing stopps you from mentionning the initial author. But you have
the choice of not mentionning it, which is also especially usefull if you
copy from several sources.

Regards,

Jerry