[pp.int.general] File Sharing in Space

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 20:17:20 CEST 2010

On 10/18/2010 1:48 PM, Partidul Piratilor wrote:
> Ahoy,
>
> According to international regulation the space (athmosfere) above a
> state is subject to control by that state, usually limited by that state
> technological capabilities. A baloon (dirigible sound like a good tech
> to consider) doing some kind of transmission that could be considered
> illegal by the state can be easily shot down. It's amatterof how high it
> flies and how much of a nuisance it is.
> A satellite, on the other hand is a totally different thing :D While the
> costs could be significantly higher, and the capabilities limited, I
> really like that idea and I'll join such a initiative.

Exactly why I was asking about height. A balloon would last no more than
2-3 days at best, before it's buoyancy was compromised, and the pressure
difference means it'd be expensive to make one that went high enough.
Thus, a powered ascent to orbit is the only way (which makes
geostationary feasible). A LEO is about the best we can hope for (and we
need to do it from one of a few special ranges, because of airspace
regulations). We're looking at at least 400km up though for a decent orbit.

My quick estimates are that it will cost at least $1M though. Perhaps
one of the cheapest solutions at present, might be a registered light
manned dirigible, might be able to get a day's airtime from it, and as
long as the person aboard is a pilot, it'll work under most laws. It's
certainly the first step for proof-of-concept.

Andrew