[pp.int.general] (no subject)

Daniel danielrr2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 22:39:03 CEST 2010

The internet has been enjoying a good deal of liberty, partly because the ISP providers were (until recently) more interested in widening their customers' base than in monitoring the information circulating trough the network. In other words, ISPs have been not content providers. That was a good thing that contributed to make the internet the huge thing it is now.

But all this may be about to change, and there are clear signs that we may be in the verge on a big, potentially disastrous change for the free flow of information over the Internet: At least in Spain, the main copyright-holder lobbyies (SGAE and the ilk) are spreading news that they are closing trade agreements with ISPs, and (they argue) this new trend in ecommerce was made possible because ISPs are becoming content providers.

ISPs have already an enormous power, probably too big. But the idea that they can become not only the providers of the internet service, but also big players in the information content arena is troubling, to say the least.

I would like to ask list members if they can provide examples of actual legistation that prevents ISPs to become content providers in their countries, and I would also like to ask the Pirate representatives in Europe if they are preparing some legislation to prevent precisely this.

Best wishes for the days to come,

Daniel