[pp.int.general] @ Dutch Pirates

Philip Hunt cabalamat at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 21 00:14:13 CEST 2010

On 20 October 2010 22:04, roberto aka robske <evilteddyxl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yep it is. It would be a great chance, weren't it that there were some
> problems.
>
> The main problems in The Netherlands currently consist of these (in my
> opinion):
> - The media is dominated by the PVV. Even if Geert Wilders farts, it is news
> (metaphorically speaking).
> - Most of the voting power is currently held by conservative people. I would
> classify the VVD, all Christian parties and the PVV as conservative parties.
> Together, they have about 90-100 seats in the parliament.
> - The media is also controlled largely by conservative people and groups.
> This is clearly shown, as all changes which have negative consequences for
> conservatives, are shown as negative in the media.
> - This all together causes for a very conservative society currently, moving
> more towards an authoritarian government.
> - Most of the people in The Netherlands have no idea what's going on, since
> the mainstream media doesn't report them the real things which are going on
> (since it isn't good for the conservatives).

I don't think these are insuperable obstacles. In the Netrherlands,
you're lucky that the electoral system is pure PR with no threshold,
so you only need 0.67% of the vote to get people elected. I'm sure the
Dutch Pirates will get people elected at the next general election.
Once a party does have elected representatives, it makes it easier for
them to get attention in the media, so they can build their support.

--
Philip Hunt, <cabalamat at gmail.com>