[pp.int.general] @ Dutch Pirates

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 19:30:56 CEST 2010

 On 10/20/2010 05:04 PM, Gregory Engels wrote:
> On 20.10.2010, at 12:34, Justus Römeth wrote:
>

>>       Amsterdam poised to ban flat-sharing
>>

> This is so wring, it looks like outright stupidity from the outside.
> It is violating just so many human rights, including the
> right of property, and is involving into very private moments
> of one's life. And its also denies reality, of how people
> are living together.
>
> But as far as i understand, this is just a proposal from some
> derailed  politician to put this to voting before city council?
> I think, that the amsterdam city council is not composed
> of complete idiots and will not make themselves completely
> ridiculous in the eye of the world's audience.

There was recently a civil rights campaign in Amsterdam against the
police being able to randomly stop-and-search people in the streets.
Information sheets from the public authorities even explicitly stated
the person stopped and searched did not necessarily have to be suspected
for anything. Apparently the stops and searches were rather random (as
in, no obvious discriminatory pattern against minority groups detected),
but still...

I did not hear about that having any effect on the Amsterdam establishment.

Same campaign found two verdicts from ECoHR the declared such arbitrary
stops and searches illegal. :/

I meant, on the topic of what is plausible to happen in Amsterdam. Teh
place is not so good.

/a