[pp.int.general] filesharing in space

Erik Lönroth erik.lonroth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 20:47:39 CEST 2010

Hello!

We took it in no way as a harsh post. On the contrary - a very good
input to the project.

I have waited some time with updating this thread with more
information. But I can tell you that we have started up real
activities already.

We have made some steps toward funding which looks very promising. We
have discussed and evaluated some hardware, software and flight
options and more or less decided on a preliminary platform. We don't
think for a second that this will be the thing we launch, but rather
as a seed for further work. The entire platform will be published and
every part of it will be available for download and sharing. The aim
is that anyone could follow a simple guide as how to launch their own
platform for a very small amount of money.

Due to the high profile of this work, we have also decided to hand out
less information about some details. The last thing we want to deal
with at the startup is media and speculations. (We have already got to
much of it). Don't forget that this is also a project that needs to be
fun for the persons involved. Dealing with too much outside attention
tend to blurr the focus and also scare away some people too early in
the project. We are sorry for closing up on some details, but be sure
we will make it all available when ready.

We are currently looking at interesting networking options to launch
together with the vessel. In terms of providing networking to
connected clients - acting as a ISP of some kind if possible.
PirateISP is perhaps something worth looking into, but we haven't had
time yet.

We are interested in knowing about power sources with an environmental
touch, preferably solar panels etc. But once again, this is maybe to
early to address.

There are a number of people now involved on various levels but we
intentionally want to keep the work as loosely coupled as possible.
Anyone contributing needs to be able to work independent for starters.
The organization of the work is a real challenge which we will work on
continuously from a project perspective.

Once we have a bank account up (which will be soon) we will start
raising the funds we need for the first test launches with the aim to
test flight, connectivity and uptime. We think that a budget for that
phase is no more than 1000$ for 5 flights that we think we need to do.

/Erik