[pp.int.general] Court Decision - Equitable Remuneration

Rodrigo Pereira rodrigo2kpereira at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 16:02:15 CET 2010

2010/10/31 Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>

>    Is a lot MORE good but who is the creator? who will be supported?
>
> If you mean that as a practical question, I am sure a good practical
> answer can be found.
>
>    In my country,
>    for example, government uses about 0,5% of all taxes to support culture,
> as
>    well arts.
>
> How much total money is that?  We could calculate how many artists
> it could support.

In Brazil, indeed, is planned for 2011 3% (R$ 1,18 billions) of budget
(about 694 million dolars per year) to culture. This is devided into
cultural government programs. Brazil have about 190 million habitants.

> Would you object to paying 0.5% more, if that replaces some of what we
> now pay in other ways through the wasteful copyright system?

Perhaps, if flat rate replace copyright monopoly, probably is more useful
use the money to support cultural programs in general than copyright
industry. If copyright run together this new tax, I don't know a reason to
support this tax. In Brazil people are going to jail by copyright law, this
do not happen in USA, for example. So, I think is priority in Brazil, first,
the decriminalization of copyright infringement, not impose a new tax to
people.

Probably, a software, for example, into the public domain have the 3
liberties of free software, or not? For example, you can share, you can
modified, you can distribute modified copies of "Romeo and Juliet" from
Shakespeare. Except in case of copyright get in the way and you can stumble
on it.