[pp.int.general] Internet Governance Forum 2010 in Vilnius

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 16:49:05 CEST 2010

  Dear all,

I visited the Internet Governance Forum 2010 in Vilnius last week
together with Leon Bayer from German Junge Piraten. Leon caused some
havoc in many of the session by displaying an astounding mix of
confidence, expertise and youthfulness.

We spent about half the time sitting in panels with, by and for young
people talking about how and if young people can make a grab for power.
We also participated in two or three main sessions, one in which I spoke
and two of which in Leon Bayer spoke. There are videos and live
transcripts at the http://www.intgovforum.org webpage. Look up
especially the main session from Thursday called Openness, Transparency
and Security.

There were not really a lot of new things going around. Child
pornography filters are still praised by certain people and ridiculed by
others. The domain name system was criticised by some, but ICANN was not
happy when I inquired about its necessity. Several members of
parliaments from nations from all over the world approached me with
their stories, hoping to collaborate around e-Governance in the future,
but we'll see how far I can feasibly stretch my time. Probably not far
enough.

Of course, the activist community sticks together more tightly than they
stick with prestigious power players. While I had originally intended to
interact a lot with the European Parliament delegation, in the end it
turned out difficult to know when and where they were holding their
meetings. They were very ad-hoc and I had only one contact and no
e-mailing lists at my disposal to find out about them. I still attended
two bilateral sessions and a few of the Swedish delegation's internal
meetings. Interaction with old, white men was very low.

Joonas Makinen was there and will be able to tell you more about the
achievement of the Dynamic Youth Coalition during this year's forum.

Me, Leon and Joonas also met with Edvinas Bartkus who is trying to pull
together the Lithuanian Pirate Party. In Lithuania there is an emerging
collaboration with the open source Lithuania movement, which seems to be
coming along rather well. I heard at least one voice inside the forum
from an interested party that a Lithuanian party would need to broaden
their scope of policies from just copyright if they want to achieve
change - my personal view is, of course, that the more issues you try to
build a movement around initially, the greater the risk that the project
falls apart because of diverging wills. Eventually, the members of the
movement will probably start exploring policy development of their own,
as has happened in PPDE and PPSE.

Considering the stories of Edvinas, I did start thinking that maybe we
could make a compilation of requirements for starting a political party
in different countries. I heard an interesting story about an attempt to
start a party in Turkey which appears rather difficult. It's not really
a Pirate issue but is of democratic trivia interest. Perhaps Core-Team
could investigate the matter?

If any questions, ask.

/a