[pp.int.general] Correct word usage for PP.

Gareth Nelson gareth at garethnelson.com
Sun Apr 10 00:29:15 CEST 2011

My comments:
Copying act - should be copying law, a more generic term

Healing Hemp - sorry, I thought this was ppinternational? Apart from
drug legalisation being irrelevant to our core goals, your description
is utterly flawed - THC (the active ingredient in cannabis) is well
known to be addictive, and the medical uses are limited to an
anti-emetic or painkiller (symptomatic relief, not healing), aside
from that is the popular conspiracy theory that "big pharma" is behind
the ban. In fact, the state policy on drugs tends to be "ban anything
that's harmful unless we can raise taxes on it", and while personally
I would take the view that people are entitled to take whatever
substances into their own body that they wish so long as it only harms
them, I do not think this viewpoint is relevant to pirate politics and
I certainly do not think that this means that rebranding cannabis as
"Healing Hemp" is called for

Compensation - depending on context this might not be a bad term. It
is alright for example to speak of compensation when you are paying
someone for the production of a creative work (rather than paying for
mere duplication). Speaking as someone who has often made money
through writing custom software, i'd happily call the pay I received
doing this "compensation" - compensating me for my time and effort. Of
course once the software is finished and I have been paid for writing
it then I am no more owed "compensation" on further copies then a
builder is owed compensation for every individual who resides in a
house he built.

Consumer - I agree entirely with the description here, but would like
to propose that the word "customer" is used in its place when talking
about commercial transactions, and that the word "user" is used for
software when it is not known whether or not it is of a commercial
nature. In general, one should speak of the users of a piece of
software, the fans of a band/musician etc, and the customers of a
business - there is no need for the term consumer, but often a need
for an alternative term.

Content - again, I agree - but there does need to be a good
alternative to use in its place.

Creator - this could be awkward in some contexts. Take a popular TV
show for example - while there is one creator who created the concept
and the basis of the story, individual episodes would be written by
different script writers - it would be accurate to call the writer of
the episode an "author", but is it truly accurate to call the creator
of the show an author? Founder perhaps? This gets quite awkward, and
for no apparent benefit. I personally have no problem giving the
creators of my favourite TV shows (where this term is most often used)
the respect they deserve by using the term creator.

DRM - i've noticed that "digital restrictions management" is getting
more and more mainstream, and a lot of people are rightly annoyed at
the restrictions it imposes - let's keep this up

Software industry - what alternate term should be used instead? There
is indeed a market sector of businesses devoted to producing software
(free or nonfree) - what should we call it?

Other than the above, everything else looks just fine