[pp.int.general] Correct word usage for PP.

NingúnOtro ningunotro at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 11 16:28:33 CEST 2011

El lun, 11-04-2011 a las 00:46 +0200, Boris Turovskiy escribió:
> Ahoi NingúnOtro,
> [...]
> Returning to my style in this discussion - I don't think it is possible
> to convince my direct opponents of my position, so I do not limit my
> postings to factual arguments but also make ample use of other kinds of
> attacks.

I do agree with your general line of thought here. Still, when
considering "other kind of attacks" you do not only have to take into
account what your opponents might think of the used methodologies
according to their terms... it is also important to make sure the
members of your own organisation and eventually your allies are not
forced to turn their back on you to preserve the integrity of what they
consider their own "logical and ethical red lines", those they can not
afford to compromise by not reacting when they are crossed.

> > I'm sure that the wiser one is the more one tolerates from
> > others, but not trying to respect the minimal safety limits in this can
> > rapidly cause any group to disband, no matter how good and urgent the
> > goals they chase.
> I agree, that's why I hope the new PPI Board will implement the
> splitting of mailing lists I've been advocating, so as to allow those
> who take pleasure from participating in lengthy flame wars to lead them
> on a list which those who don't enjoy this kind of communication won't
> need to read;)

Yes, Maxime is also pointing to the fact that an one-size-fits all
approach to mailing lists may not be compatible wit the many different
wants and compatibilities.

> >> Firstly, I also have a long-term strategy. It doesn't include promoting
> >> instruments (like software) or even cultural achievements to a sacred
> >> status.
> >> Secondly, I happen to know some things about linguistics, and the FSF's
> >> argumentation in that field is depressingly primitive.
> > Please elaborate, I'm all ears, and I might not be the only one
> With pleasure:)
> As to 1: I share - sorry for the pun - the idea that being allowed to
> share is a fundamental right. I do, however, strongly oppose the idea
> that making money (through direct selling and other ways) out of sharing
> the products of other people's work without their consent and without
> paying them is a fundamental right also, and actually, I consider it to
> be something that should be prevented. The right of the author of a work
> to define what may be done with the work should be limited compared to
> the current situation (e.g. it should not include the right to prohibit
> non-commercial sharing), but it should not be abolished, especially the
> rights which now fall under "moral rights" (like attribution of
> authorship and protection from plagiarism).

I share your thoughts on this matter. I have a trans-ideologic theory to
explain why some simply can not abide by typically humanist fair use
clauses along the line of "I freely contribute what I can, and I
responsibly take what I need" and need forcibly be barred from hoarding
whatever they can lay their hands on while contributing the least
possible to be able to get away with a positive saldo, or not at all.

> As to 2, I'll take the entries apart one by one:
>
> [...]

While I can agree with you on most of the points you have raised, I
believe it is in the actual state of world affairs quite impossible to
define the one and only "Perfect Vocabulary" for all Pirate matters.

Different regions of the world have different languages with different
connotations attached to their terminology that have a difficult exact
translation into English.

Neither am I particularly happy with the predominance of English as the
only language for the exchange of all ideas, but as long as it is the
only one widely available we will have to accept that those that use it
as their mother tongue have an unfair advantage in getting their ideas
easily expressed in full detail while the rest of us has to struggle
with the burden of far from perfect improvised translations to add our
thoughts to the discussions.

If only they did abstain from trying to push their advantage even
further (even unconsciously by ignoring the matter plays a role) instead
of being comprehensive, it would make life easier for all.

> I would welcome everybody to comment this list;)

My 2 cents.