[pp.int.general] Pirate Party of Germany replaces proprietary software with FLOSS(?)

Mirco da Silva mirco.da.silva at piracy-international.org
Tue Aug 2 19:27:58 CEST 2011

Am 02.08.2011 18:45, schrieb Rok Andrée:
> I've had just about enuff of this.
> Can you move it to the german lists?

No, to get this massive untertaking done it definitivly needs
international cooperation.

And as long as its a political and not a technical issue this list is
ok, isn't it?

Please adjust your MTA to fadeout this thread if you've enough, ok?

TY!

> Anyway after understanding the needs I can tell you, as a PHP developer for
> an accounting company myselfe, that developing an app that would comply with
> what needs to be done is going to be a MASSIVE undertaking.

Dealing with the surveillance industry, the contentmafia and mighty
administrations is IMHO a way more massive undertaking.

Becoming FLOSS-compliant is a longtime strategic decision, that needs
first steps in the present to meet needs and gain advantages in the future.

> Something i
> doubt is even possible without substantial funding (developers that work for
> free will soon move away from the project).

With the support of the PPDE it would be way more easier to fundraise
this project, because the gernan state "doubles up" every donated Euro,
and donations are tax-deductible to the donors.

That's such a massive advantage, its worth begging for it like a dog.

What I dont see the need to discuss the ability of FLOSS-projects to
perform - at least with a paid core team. Its proved.

What I see is the need to focus on what we can, not what we cannot or
must. http://falkvinge.net/2011/08/01/swarmwise-what-is-a-swarm/

> Something like this could easily
> take 3+ years as an opensource project to build from the ground up, with
> funding
> The only and best option is to find an existing accounting FLOSS app and
> extend it, use it's developer base.

Lets see what Rick comes up with.

We have all the time we need.

Due to the decision to have a proprietary interims solution there is no
need to hurry, just to start.

cheers,
mirco